Pages

Monday, April 30, 2012

When Kroger Gives You Eggs

      So...In my attempt to save money, I have been really watching the Kroger circular, trying to watch what is on sale and plan my weekly menus around those items. I don't use coupons very much, even though I look every week for ones that I can use. There are a whooooole lot of cat food coupons out there but I just think my dog would totally object. However, there are those rare occasions that I hit pay dirt and score a good deal. Despite those occasional, "Wow! I did good!" moments...I remain unimpressed by the value of paying for the newspaper vs. the savings in the end.

     Two weeks ago Kroger had their eggs on sale 10 dozen for 10 dollars. Now that is a wow! So I did what any good, budget conscious woman would do. I bought three dozen eggs and proceeded to use eggs in everything. We are now on a cholesterol detox diet after all those eggs but hey.....egg salad vs. Boars Head lunch meat....yeah that is some savings. Don't get me wrong. You can't touch Boars head lunch meat for taste but shew law...it's expensive!

 I have never created a recipe. I am a... pour, taste, dump, taste, taste again...till I get it right kind of cook so this was not easy for me. Here is what I came up with.




Vivian's Low Fat "Saving the Bank" Egg Salad



Ingredients

10 eggs
1/3 cup of Light or Fat Free Mayo
1/3 cup of Fat Free Sour Cream
2 tablespoons of yellow mustard
1/4 cup of diced dill pickles
1/2 teaspoon of dried dill
salt and pepper to taste (sorry this isn't an exact measurement...I think what I find salty enough may be too much for some and not enough for others)


First boil your eggs however you like to do it...(Doesn't everyone have their own way of doing it that has been passed down from their family?)
After they're finished boiling run cold water over them and let them cool
Crack each egg and roll on the counter (A good friend taught me this method) 
Peel all the eggs and dice them in to small pieces (Not tiny....you still want some chunk to the salad)



Add all the ingredients into the bowl and fold the ingredients into each other.
Chill for a couple hours and then get some really fresh bread...spread egg salad and begin eating..


 


If you are having company feel free to turn this into a full fat salad by using regular mayo and regular sour cream (I always splurge on calories when I have people over) Paula Deen and Ree Drummond would be so appalled by my recipe! Hey we can't live like that every day! Now, time for an omelet!

2 comments:

  1. I knew there would be dill pickles! And who taught you to boil eggs. I still have to look it up every time. Looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete