Pages

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

All Star Quilt



Sometimes, when your quilting you start a project with a specific idea in mind and then you go looking for the fabric. That's just not how I roll. When I walk into a quilt show or a quilt shop I let the fabric do the talking. I love to buy fabric and then figure out who it's going to go to. I decided to post some pics of my latest project where I used some fabric for a friend of mine whose little boy is going to be celebrating his first birthday very soon. My original plan when I found the fabric was to make it a baby gift. It was supposed to be a little baby blanket. I thought I had enough fabric for two baby quilts. As the days turned into months I decided I better make the quilt a little bit bigger as he is getting bigger every day! I am just glad I finished it before he graduated from high school.

July before last when my sister was in town visiting, my mom, niece, sister, and I went to Pappy's Quilting near Maryville Tennessee. I found this line of fabric by Riley Blake. I fell in love when I saw it. It was so bright and colorful and I just had to have it. It is called All Star.

I wanted to piece the back to make it a little different but I had the hardest time figuring out how much fabric I needed. My sister and I did the math together using the Robert Kaufman app on her iphone but it  just wasn't measuring up when I got home.I kept laying it on my bed to try and figure it out to no avail. I had to have my mom help me. She is always saving the day!


 
A picture of the front of the quilt.






The back of the quilt. Check out the measuring tape. I measured it like twenty times and I was still short. I had to make a quick run to Pappy's to buy a little more fabric.



An up close view of my mom's amazing quilting!

The quilt on my mom's long arm sewing machine. She did a beautiful job!



 I did not take a picture of the quilt finished with the binding on it yet. I will post pictures soon! I have a couple other projects that I finished up just before summer was over that I am excited about sharing. That will have to wait too. I am now in the throws of getting ready for the first day of school so more on that later!

No comments:

Post a Comment