Pages

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Country Girl In the Making

This summer I have really been learning alot about canning food. On a recent trip to my sister-in-laws house my mother-in-law and I helped her work up her corn while she took care of my beautiful new niece. I learned how to make and can creamed corn and whole kernel corn. We worked up about three bushels of corn that day. It was so good I thought I would share how they make it and put it in the freezer.

Freezer Creamed Corn
1. Wash and desilk corn.

2. Use a sharp knife to cut the very tips of the kernels off the cob.



3. Once you have done this go back over the cob with the knife to "milk" or scrape of the remaining corn close to the cob. Be prepared...there will be corn on the ceiling after this step if your anything like me.


4. Once you have a large bowl of corn microwave the corn for 5 minutes and then stir. Repeat this step three more times, stirring after each 5 minute stint in the microwave. Now all you have to do is let it cool. For a looooong time! Even when you think it's cool, stir the corn because their will be pockets of warm spots in the corn and it needs to be cool to the touch throughout or it will sour when you put it in the freezer.

5. Once you have let the corn cool place about two and a half cups of corn in a quart size freezer bag and place in the freezer.


When you are ready to eat your corn all you will need to add is a touch of salt and pepper. The corn comes out so buttery and creamy there is no need for butter unless your really feeling sinful!

If you are going to make whole kernel corn blanch the cobs in boiling water 3 to four minutes and then let them cool enough to handle. Then you just take your corn and cut close to the cob the first time and do not scrape the cob.

While we were there my sister-in-law made the best blueberry jam. I tell you I am blessed to know so many talented women. I love how I have learned so much about sewing and farming this summer. They are good skills to know.

Between Luke Bryan, Miranda Lambert, my mama's sewing skills, and a good corn crop they've about turned me into real country girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment